Yesterday’s Doctor’s Visits

19 Jan

I’m sure that I mentioned that I had not one, but TWO doctor’s visits scheduled yesterday.  I had an appointment scheduled at Dr. V’s downtown office and an appointment scheduled with Dr. Endocrine’s FNP, Jennifer.  I made crazy stupid plans to work 7-9 a.m. and then if I could finish up early enough at the endocrine clinic, I’d return for a 4-6 p.m. stint.  Oh Salty! You are so cute sometimes – look at you planning stuff!

Well I left work at about 9:20, to head to an office downtown that I’d never been to, in a part of town that I was extremely unfamiliar with, with directions on paper that I had to try to read while driving.  (Seriously, how did we survive before turn-by-turn GPS?)  I was really nervous about the reading directions thing, because the practice Dr. V. belongs to is named for the touristy part of downtown, so there were a helluva lot of pedestrians… walking… more like jay-walking.  Yeah – not smart.  At least I didn’t go the wrong way on a one way street.  (Once is enough to scare you straight.)

Well I finally find the correct building and couldn’t find the self-parking garage, so I said “eff it!” and I got valet parking.  (Considering how paranoid I can be about parking and parking garages, and the fact that it was downtown and I wasn’t going to find a good spot on the street for less than $5, this was an economical decision, trust me.)  So I take the elevator up, up, up and make it into the office just in time for my 10 o’clock appointment.  The elevator bank on that floor doesn’t hide the art deco inspiration of the building.  You walk out of the elevator and you know that you are in a place of serious business.  It felt so grandiose – and I liked it. I was pumped for this appointment. I open the doorway into the reception area of the ob office and get in line.

“Do you have an appointment today?”

“Yes, I’m Salty Mama, here for my 10 a.m. appointment with Dr. V.”

She gives me an annoyed stare.  “We called you yesterday – Dr. V. is not able to see patients this week: she’s having surgery.”

I respond by looking like a deer in headlights. Eventually I manage to say, “My phone was in the car – I found it when I drove here.  I didn’t know it was dead.”

“Well, you’re going to have to reschedule. What was your visit for today?”

I drop to my knees, throw my hands and gaze towards the heavens, cursing the fact that cell phone batteries don’t charge themselves, as I cry out, “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

Okay, that last part isn’t true.  But I was so annoyed with myself.  I woke up early to be at work early, so that I could leave early, so I could be at my appointment early and the fact that I am the opposite of  obsessive with my cell phone’s whereabouts screwed me over.

Well obviously the solution here was to not only reschedule, but go home and get some sleep (and charge my phone) so that I could start my day over again.

So I wake up at 1, recharged (not just the cell phone, but me, too) and ready to met with Jennifer, the FNP.

The endocrinology clinic I go to is super efficient so I check in, and before I can get comfy in my seat, someone calls me to the back to do either a finger-stick (for my current blood glucose level) or a blood draw for my HbA1C (every 3 months).  This month was an the HbA1c (A1c for short). A1C testing gives an interpretation of how even and controlled your blood sugars have been over a couple months of time by measuring the percentage of hemoglobin (that’s a protein part of your red blood cells) that has glucose (sugar!) stuck to it (glycation).  A person who is not diabetic will probably have about 5% glycated hemoglobin.  As far as I understand, measuring A1c levels in gestational-diabetes patients isn’t a good diagnostic measure because the medical professionals are looking for glucose intolerance which is  short term in the gestational diabetic.  (Wikipedia, because I feel scholarly, and Accu-Check website, because it’s written for the lowest common denominator.)

Well, just because they’re efficient doesn’t mean that the endocrine clinic isn’t good at taking their time getting to their patients. They draw that blood and then send you right back to the holding pe- I mean, waiting room.  Honestly, the wait wasn’t too bad considering that I had my pick of hunting magazines to read.  Oh how glorious it was to my favorite leisure read, right there in my doctor’s waiting room!

When Jennifer called me to her office, she had some really great news for me.  My A1C has improved a lot.  Like tons!  Like from an 11% when I went for my wonderful hospital stay this past fall, to a 6.5% as yesterday.  That’s within the guidelines recommended by the American Diabetes Association AND the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists.

That is the power of sticking to my insulin regimen and understanding how that can work in conjunction with carb counting.  I’m so proud of myself, but I can’t take all the credit.  Really it was the fear that Dr. Endocrine put in me and the knowledge and encouragement that Dr. V. and Jennifer gave me.  It also helps that I’m honest with people about my pre-existing type 2 diabetes and so all these people around me feel comfortable asking me about my health and in that way keep me in check.

So even though I had downer of a morning, it got turned around.  I didn’t go back to work – I went home and enjoyed being there.  And I feel good!

Now, if Dr. V. will just tell me if we’re going to be hosting a sausage fest or a taco fiesta next Tuesday at my rescheduled prenatal appointment next Tuesday…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s